The US Department of Transportation recently announced that 34 states and Puerto Rico are set to get a cut of the $900 million funds allotted for building electric vehicle charging infrastructures.
According to DOT’s National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure plan, private companies may be contracted to purchase, develop, operate, and maintain EV charging infrastructure using funds made available under the NEVI Program. Only those initiatives accessible to the general public or “to approved commercial motor vehicle operators from more than one company,” will be eligible for the awards.
The Register further notes:
As part of the first wave of awards, the DoT said it would prioritize bids that put chargers within one mile of interstate highways, and no more than 50 miles (80km) apart, building what it describes as “alternative fuel corridors.”
The Biden administration said last month that it wants to have 500,000 EV chargers deployed by 2030. All 50 states have submitted plans, which the DoT hopes to have approved by September 30.
In addition to being deployed every 50 miles (80km) and within a mile of an offramp, the chargers specified in the plan must maintain certain standards, too. In its National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) plan, the DoT said that chargers must include at least four 150kW DC fast chargers with ports capable of simultaneously charging four EVs.
The DoT’s NEVI plan stresses that chargers deployed using its funds must provide power “regardless of time of day or time of year in a manner that supports a robust and reliable network,” but sets no rules as to how those chargers are powered.
The NEVI plan says that EV infrastructure projects should consider using renewable and distributed energy sources, but all the language in the agreement suggests renewables are an option, not a requirement.